This brunch-time favourite recipe is not only ridiculously tasty but also very nutritious with protein, vegetables and spices all rolled into a one-plate wonder!
I like to make this on a lazy Saturday, with “Your Favourite Coffee Break” playlist on Spotify running in the background. I would patiently wait for the egg to poach slowly in the pan while humming along to the morning sunshine.
Have a go with this delicious recipe and enjoy your cosy weekend brunch 😊
- Olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 5 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 4 British Lion Eggs
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Small bunch of coriander for garnish
- Heat a large pan on medium heat and sweat the diced onions until soft and translucent for 5 minutes. Add the red and green peppers and continue to cook for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and chill to continue to cook for 2 more minutes.
- Next, add the cumin seats with the mixture and cook for a further 2 more minutes. Finally, it’s time for the tomatoes to be added, and slowly cooked for 15-20 minutes until the tomatoes have collapsed in the pan turning into sauce.
- Now it’s the time for seasoning to your taste with salt and pepper.
- Once ready, make 4 wells in the tomato sauce and crack 1 egg in each well to poach the eggs in the sauce.
- Cover the pan to slowly poach the eggs for 5-6 minutes to your liking. I like it to be slightly runny in the yolk with a firmly set egg white.
- Chop up the coriander finely and sprinkle over the egg mixture. Enjoy with some toast to mop up the yummy sauce!
Thanks British Lion Eggs for collaborating with me on this post. You can also find a list of other egg recipes here.